What is Plastic Surgery?Plastic surgery, a specialised form of surgery, is performed for improving your appearance, body function, or reconstructing defects over face, hand and body. These may be caused by illness, injury and birth disorders. The term Plastic originates from Greek Plastikos, which means to mould or shape an object into a great form. It is a common misunderstanding in some parts of the world that the word plastic means artificial, and using plastic materials while performing surgery.
Plastic surgery is a great science and art of obtaining the best out of your physical body shape. Performed well, it has the unique ability to restore and improve appearance and function. A good plastic surgeon like Dr. Srinjoy Saha can perform surgery on any part of the human body (except brain and spine) and has a masterful knowledge of key details of human anatomy.
How Do I Know a Good Plastic Surgeon?
|Solve beauty jigsaw puzzles.|
- Aesthetic plastic surgery.
- Reconstructive plastic surgery.
- Cranio-maxillo-facial surgery.
- Reconstructive microsurgery.
- Paediatric plastic surgery.
- Laser surgery.
- Hand surgery.
- Burns surgery.
What is Cosmetic Plastic Surgery?
Aesthetic or Cosmetic Plastic Surgery is performed to improve the external physical appearance of any part of the body in an otherwise healthy and apparently normal person. It includes surgical and non-surgical techniques performed to reveal the innate beauty of a person. It enhances beauty, increasing it beyond the ordinary and towards an aesthetic ideal. It improves self-image, boosts self-confidence and brings out the best in life. Aesthetic or cosmetic plastic surgery is precisely the tool that is needed to realise the dream of achieving a perceived aesthetic ideal. In today's world, 'to be the best, you must look like your best'. Choosing a good plastic surgeon minimises risks and ensures safety. A good plastic surgeon like Dr. Srinjoy Saha continuously educates himself from the best places in the world. He adapts and synthesises the best possible techniques for his patient's good.
- Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck - Firms up and strengthens the abdomen. Removes excess saggy skin formed after childbirth. Corrects muscle weakness in the abdomen.
- Blepharoplasty / Eyelid Correction - Reshapes upper and lower eyelid. Corrects baggy or puffy eyes. Removes fat collections around the eyes that forms with age.
- Botox - Correction of wrinkles. Botulinum Toxin type A is injected into muscles of face to paralyse them for about 6 months. Works very well in the upper face.
- Breast Augmentation / Enlargement - Enlarge the size of the breasts. Sometimes, can correct breast drooping also. Forms cleavage. Implants are usual. Fat grafting may also be done.
- Breast Lift / Mastopexy - Reshapes the breasts. Corrects breast drooping. Relocates nipple and areola to an upper part.
- Breast Reduction - Reduce the size of the breasts. Simultaneously, nipple and areola can be relocated to an upper part of the breast.
- Buttock Augmentation / Enlargement - Enlarge the shape of buttocks and make it rounder. If buttocks are saggy, can be lifted up in position. Implants or fat grafting (Brazilian butt lift) are the usual surgery done.
- Chemical Peel - Removes the superficial layers of the skin. Improves and smoothens skin of the face. Improves scars, pock marks, acne and wrinkles.
- Cheek Augmentation - Reshape the cheekbones, usually by implants. Fat grafting to the face may also be performed to enhance malar prominence.
- Chin Surgery - Reshape the chin by adding an implant. Or, by bringing the chin forward or backward after cutting the bone and fixing it with plates and screws.
- Face Lift - Removes excess skin over the face. Tightens the lower half of the face. Corrects shape of the jowls.
- Mid Face Lift - Removes excess skin in the cheek area. Tightens the fold between the nose and corner of the mouth. Can be combined with lower blepharoplasty or traditional face lift.
- Liposuction - Removes excess fat from different areas of the body. Common areas are abdomen, flanks, thighs and buttocks.
- Otoplasty - Reshape or resize the ear. Most commonly, corrects bat ears, bringing the ears close to the head.
- Rhinoplasty - Reshape or restructure the nose.
|Liposuction & Abdominal Etching|
What is Reconstructive Plastic Surgery?Reconstructive Plastic Surgery is a medically indicated treatment used to improve dysfunctional body parts. It is performed to heal any defect or restore function. It helps achieve the best of form and function of any part of the body. This surgery is the mainstay of healing a person with mutilating deformities following injury or cancer. It has a wide variety, and ranges from skin grafts to micro-vascular surgeries like free tissue transfers (flaps). Hand, cranio-maxillo-facial and burn surgeries are included within this as a sub-specialties. For example, it can be performed to correct deformities of the face following injury or burns; and repair limbs damaged by injury.
- Breast reconstruction or reduction. A reconstruction is often performed after a woman has undergone a mastectomy as part of her treatment for breast cancer. There are multiple techniques that can be used for breast reconstruction, including tissue expansion and breast implants. A plastic surgeon can also perform breast reduction surgery for men or women who have abnormally large breasts.
- Facial surgeries. Plastic surgeons commonly perform reconstructive surgery to correct facial defects such as cleft lip and cleft palate birth defects in children. They may also perform facial surgeries on adults to address breathing problems, chronic infections, or snoring.
- Foot Surgery. Plastic surgeons can perform reconstructive surgery to correct webbed toes or fingers, remove extra toes or fingers, remove tumors, or treat carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Hand Surgery for repairing hands damaged by certain diseases or conditions. Carpal tunnel surgery can remove pressure on a nerve that cause numbness and pain. Rheumatoid arthritis, a condition that can result in severe inflammation and deformation of joints in the hands, can sometimes be addressed via surgery. Furthermore, Dupuytren's contracture, a condition that involves the shortening of the tendons in the hand and the development of scar tissue, can be treated via surgery by removing the scar tissue and lengthening the tendons.
- Microsurgery and flap procedures. A plastic surgeon can use advanced techniques to reattach body parts; restore feeling and sensation in an area; or transplant skin, muscle, bone and blood supply from one area of the body to another.
- Scar surgery is a type of reconstructive surgery that can reduce or nearly eliminate the appearance of a scar. This involves removing the scarred skin and stitching the remaining skin together. Although the surgery does not completely remove scarring, the goal is to minimize its appearance as much as possible. It is generally recommended that scar revision surgery not be undertaken until the scar is at least one year old because the body might still be healing. The outcome of the surgery can be negatively affected in the long term if the wound is still healing.
- Wound care. People who have been severely burned or injured may visit a plastic surgeon to undergo skin grafts or other reconstructive surgeries to repair the damaged area.
Breast Reconstruction Surgery: TRAM and DIEP Flap
What Precautions Do I Need to Take Before My Plastic Surgery?
For best results, please ensure that you have a good consultation with Dr. Srinjoy Saha or your plastic surgeon while planning for your plastic surgery. Knowing and re-affirming your goals for plastic surgery and confirming plans before surgery helps tremendously. You may expect better results if you follow the following general recommendations:
Personal Hygiene: Thoroughly wash body areas in and around your probable treatment area for 3 days, and preferable 1 week before surgery.
Avoid Medicines and Supplements: Some medicines are notorious to cause excessive bleeding. Avoid them for at least 2 weeks before surgery if possible. These include Aspirin, Aspirin containing compounds, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Anti-inflammatory drugs, Pain killers, Vitamin E, Green tea, Ginseng, Herbal supplements.
Avoid Smoking and Drinking: Smoking results in poor wound healing. Strict stoppage of smoking for at least 1 week before and 2 weeks after surgery is recommended. Same rule applies to Tobacco or Nicotine In Any Form - chewable, patches or others. Avoid Alcohol for at least 3 days, and preferably 1 week before your surgery.
Precautionary Medicines: Some medicines will be prescribed for you, to be taken the night before and on the morning of surgery. Please ensure that you take them as directed.
Clothes: Wear loose comfortable clothes which are easy to put on and take off. Buttoned up shirts and elasticated waist pants are good examples of ideal clothing.
Can Plastic Surgery Be Associated With Complications?
All types of surgery carry some inherent risk. Plastic surgery is no exception. Different people have different genetic mechanism and body reaction that affect their ability to heal after surgery. A good plastic surgeon like Dr. Srinjoy Saha takes all these factors into account. He devises treatment plan in a fool-proof way so that you heal well and without complications. Depending on your type of surgery and your overall health condition, following is the list of most common risks and complications associated with reconstructive plastic surgery:
- Excessive bleeding.
- Difficulty in wound healing.
- Blackening or necrosis of skin margins.
- Scarring problems - atrophic or hypertrophic scars.
- Pigmentation problems - hypo-pigmentation or hyper-pigmentation.
- Anaesthesia problems like nausea, vomiting, giddiness, light-headedness, sore throat, etc.
- Problems specific to the type of plastic surgery you plan to undergo.
|Proper surgical planning and precautions reduce chances of complications and side-effects.|
What Can I do To Reduce Risks of Plastic Surgery?
Risk of complications or unwanted side effects increase significantly in the following conditions:
- Connective tissue disorders.
- Previous radiation therapy.
- Blood-flow or Circulation problems.
- Immuno-compromised medical conditions like HIV, Transplants, Anti-Cancer drugs, etc.
- Poor nutritional condition or habits.
- Other risk factors specific to your medical condition. If you have previous medical problems, please discuss about it with your family doctor for necessary treatment.
Is Dr. Srinjoy Saha Best Plastic Surgeon for My Plastic Surgery?
Dr. Srinjoy Saha is among the best plastic surgeons in India and listed amongst India's top doctors. He has a passion for achieving best possible results and a profound commitment to excellence.
- Trained in the best places for medical education in the world, including Harvard University, Cleveland Clinic, Emory University, Royal College of Surgeons and University of Mumbai.
- Received numerous international awards for excellence from American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Plastic Surgery Foundation, Apollo Hospitals Foundation, University of Mumbai amongst plenty of other universities and organisations.
- Prefers to tell you honestly about the pros and cons of the procedure you want to undergo and its likely effects, rather than trying to sell you a plastic surgery. He is doctor's doctor.
- Calm and quiet bedside manner. Friendly towards his patients. Tries his utmost to help his patients in every possible way. He will talk to you in details about your surgery and make a detailed plan of all steps of your plastic surgery.
- Takes great pain during your surgery to achieve total perfection. He will provide you with everything that you need to achieve your plastic surgery goals, and enable you to look and feel as good as you wanted.
- Extensive experience in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Changing human lives for the better, one perfect plastic surgery at a time. You can be sure of being in the best of hands for your plastic surgery.
|Dr Srinjoy Saha has a passion for achieving the best and a profound commitment to excellence.|
Can I See Before And After Photos & Videos of Plastic Surgery?Of course! There are plenty of clinical photos and videos which highlight life-changing moments ushered in by plastic surgery. You will be shown these photos and videos during your consultation. Every year, more and more people hope to get a flatter tummy, larger or smaller bust, reshaped nose, face or chin - essentially a better version of who you are in your dreams. Plastic surgery reaches out to all people to make lives better. Some of these photos and videos may include frontal nudity, and thus not suitable for viewing by all visitors. Photos will be processed to protect identity of patients and added to this website gradually. Feel free to follow their links and see!
|Plastic surgery Videos & Before and after Photos provide a good introductory idea to patients.|